Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Completed Project: McCall's 6387 - Rainbow Brite Dress



I have a confession to make:  I rarely have time to sew for myself, let alone for anyone else, so sewing things for other people usually falls very, very low on my list of priorities.  However, a couple weeks ago I found several amazing scraps of vintage 1980s Rainbow Brite fabric panels at a thrift store in Black Mountain for a mere .25 cents and my niece Ella's 3rd birthday is July 3rd, so the time finally presented itself for me to make her a dress!  

I used McCall's 6387, mainly because I was charmed by the little detachable "Heidi Style" apron.  Ironically, even though I purchased fabric for the apron, I ultimately decided not to construct it since it was going to partially obscure Rainbow Brite and her horse Starlite which is the main focal point of the dress.




The skirt of is made from rainbow multi-striped cotton quilting fabric which I lined with white cotton.  For the lower fabric ruffle, straps and bodice lining, I used an orange and pink toned batik.




From start to finish, I was able to construct the dress in about 4 hours.  It's a very simple design, but all of those gathers take an eternity!  Even though Ella has no idea who Rainbow Brite is, I think she will love the colors, ruffle and gathers.  Her parents, both children of the 1980s (like myself), will probably appreciate the nostalgic elements of it!



5 comments:

  1. DARLING DRESS!! You did a great job on it! She will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. son muy bonitos :)
    myblythejulyandme.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I NEED THIS for my niece! Is there any way I could get you to make me one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love the dress. Can I place order for the dress? My daughter is 2 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Goodwill in Black Mountain is AWESOME! I used to live about 5 minutes away from it and my budget suffered. ;) I am now in FL, but when I visit the mountains, make sure to swing by that place! :) The dress is amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete