Monday, April 8, 2013

Completed Project: Reconstructed Tom Hanks "2x Academy Award Winner" T-Shirt



This reconstructed t-shirt is definitely an in-joke amongst myself and a few of my friends.  I'm notoriously not a fan of the once-ubiquitous Tom Hanks, which my friend Scott insists is positively un-American.  So he made me this t-shirt to wear as a joke to he and his wife Cate's annual Academy Awards party in late February.  I believe the photo of Tom Hanks used here is from an episode of Saturday Night Live that he hosted in the late 1980s.





The original t-shirt was an oversized Hanes men's shirt so I decided to take it apart and reconstruct it into something a little more wearable. This is the pattern I used: Simplicity 9165 from 1989.




I thought the front overlapped detail was really cool and I had *barely* enough fabric to make it happen.




I zig-zag stitched around the the original iron-on printed fabric photo so it would stay in place.




Detail of the unique front-lapped design.




The original design didn't call for a center-back seam, but I had to utilize it due to a major lack of fabric!





I cut a size 10 and I usually wear a size 12.  Although the original design is cropped, the shirt is extremely cropped on me and (as pictured here) will require the use of a camisole of tank top underneath.  Not sure how often I'll wear it as I consider it to be pro-Tom Hanks propaganda and - well - I'm just not cool with that!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment