Saturday, June 12, 2010

Completed Project: "Nerds Rock!" Dress

Here's my latest finished project that I made from that crazy "Nerds Rock!" fabric that I wrote about in a previous post:


I used Simplicity 7304 (copyright 1985). It's a simple sleeveless blouson dress with an elastic waistline, full gathered skirt, side-seam pockets and an asymmetric collar with an attached bow at the left shoulder. The collar and bow are made from contrasting turquoise rayon and I think the drape makes it look more like an attached scarf than a collar.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the finished dress. I wouldn't have made it sleeveless if I'd had enough fabric left to make sleeves. I like how the color of the rayon fabric matches the turquoise in the cotton fabric. I don't, however, think a blouson bodice dress with a full gathered skirt suits my particular body type. Still, it was a fun project and any time spent sewing is never a waste! I also uploaded this to my studio at BurdaStyle.



2 comments:

  1. I like it! The funny thing is I have a pattern from the 20s that looks quite similar, just in the 20s silhouette. Same blue shoulder-scarf and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! When I showed this dress to my husband, he thought the silhouette looked "old fashioned", which made me laugh. It does have a very 1950s vibe (with a 1920s style collar!). :)

    ReplyDelete